Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Spoilt Brat


You know, being the eldest always means you have to sacrifice.Doesn't matter if it's a toy, something you wanted to buy it usually meant to be given up to your other siblings. I remembered once my brother and sisters got to buy things they'd like but my parents were like "you can't have that.give chance to your siblings.You're the eldest."
I can tell you I did get sick of those words-you're the eldest. whatever it is, the others' needs come first. I just have to wait till I can get what I want.
As I get older, it became a part of me to watch over my younger sisters,if they fall I would be the cushion. If they want something, I would get it for them. Being the eldest is not easy believe me. Especially if you have lots of bros and sis to take care of. I salute those who have a family the size of a football team.
Since I'm staying at home during this holiday till the exam results come out, I got the chance to be the only child while the others went to school. During the short hours I spent at home with my mum especially, I'd got the chance to strengthen the bond between a mother and daughter. And I loved every second of it.
A few days ago when I was accompanying my parents to Alor Setar, I noticed something different. Usually when I said I want something or I want to buy this or that, they were usually reluctant to follow my needs. But that day amazingly, they were like ok-you decide we follow. I know to most of you out there these things are normal but not for me. I don't usually get this kind of 'special' treatment. To my surprise, I didn't like it. I know I have wanted their attention for so long but when I finally got it, it seemed unfair. Unfair to my other siblings even if they weren't there. I am used to be the one who stand back and let them be the first to get everything and when it came to me, the opportunity to be what I always wanted, to have what I always dreamed of having, I felt it wasn't mine to have. It isn't right.
I like to have been a spoilt little child for some time but not anymore. I guess it's a part of me that I've grown out of. Being an older sister isn't such a bad idea. For one thing, I did get my parents all to myself for almost more than 3 years before my brother came to this world. Maybe I didn't remeber those moments alone with my parents but what is important, I know they love me all the same. Every child is special in their own amazing way and it's normal to feel like an outsider in your family once in a while but your parents never want to replace you for anyone else, even if they're better than you in any way.

2 comments:

  1. slm.. trust me.. that doesnt apply to every family.. being youngest in my family means u dont get to decide anything.. even if u can debate ur way out of it.. even if u can give relevant reasons based on facts and logic, nobody wud listen just because ur the youngest.. its ridiculous really.. but i learnt that following other ppl is best, because i can always blame other ppl when they're wrong and say "see? i told you so.." and they'd luk stupid in front of their own wives, children and siblings.. and i'd have the final laugh..
    mwahaha.. its cruel, but what to do.. if u cant change others, why not change urself right ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes maybe evry child experienced what u n i had doesnt matter if ur d youngest or d eldest.

    ReplyDelete